Saturday, May 15, 2010

First month of barefoot running

Freeing, painful, funny stares from on-lookers, blisters, dirty feet, sore calves..these are all words that describe my first month as a new barefoot runner. My feet have been reborn! I have to give a special shout-out to Barefoot Ken Bob, who provided the bulk of the information I have been using to get started. His websited is under "The Basics" links to the right of this blog.

I live in Oakland, CA, so the biggest obstacle holding me back from barefoot running was the fear of stepping on broken glass and needles! Thankfully, I've learned that I can use an incredibly sophisticated technology known as the "eye-ball" to look for obstacles and avoid them. I did step on glass once, but it didn't cut me very badly at all.

I regularly run around Lake Merrit and enjoy all the funny looks and giggles I get as I run around the lake with no shirt on and no shoes! Honestly, I kind of enjoy the attention, but I am still waiting for somebody to ask me what it is all about. The experience of barefoot running has been wonderful for me so far. I have definitely earned my share of blisters as I learn how to listen to the nerve endings in my feet, but I haven't suffered any of the usual shin splints or knee pains. I can also tell that I am building strenth in muscles that I have never used before in my feet, toes, calves, and thighs.

I think the worst thing about barefoot running so far, is stepping in goose poop and who knows what else on heavily used trail around Lake Merrit. I end up wearing sandals into my apartment so that I don't track dirt in from my feet! However, I have also gone running on a few of the trails in the Regional Redwood Park, and it feels so good to run barefooted on the forest floor!

I have also been brining my sandals with me, that way if my feet get sensitive after a while, I can put them on and run the rest of the way lightly shod. My plan is to build a pair of Huaraches sandals to use on especially harsh terrain, which I have experienced in some areas of the Regional Redwoods (where there are lots of rock). There are full instructions on how to make Huaraches (and avoid the rediculously priced and marketed Vibram Five Fingered Shoes) in the links I have listed.

I hope you are enjoying this blog so far. Stay tunned for future updates and photos! Please leave your comments or questions about barefoot running!

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Hey jared nice post!
    keep the good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jared that's a nice picture!
    keep the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to start by takng out the trash barefooted.

    ReplyDelete